Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Chapter 11, Pt. 3

The escape was considerably less complicated than Silay thought an escape ought to be. Not that she was complaining. Protected by Riya’s illusion, they followed Edo back through the main cells, where he freed a much subdued Talis.

The guards were still asleep, and were easy to get by. Edo led them to the small gate used for nighttime trade. If the two guards at the gate noticed their passing, they gave no sign of it.

Edo led the way out of the city and into the woods that bordered the main road. When  he stopped, the others did too, becoming visible as Riya removed her spell.

Silay shrugged off the cloak she had been wearing and returned it to Edo. He inspected it as if expecting it to turn into something unpleasant. He glanced at Riya.

“How did you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Make the cloak be able to hide the wearer.”

Riya shrugged. “It’s just an invisibility illusion.”

“No, it’s not. If it were, the cloak would have been invisible, but the spell wouldn’t have affected Silay. You just wouldn’t have been able to tell she was wearing it. To do what you did,” he frowned, “you would have had to change the very nature of the cloak.”

“I turned my donkey yellow.”

“You did, didn’t you?” Edo’s brows furrowed in thought. “ I think you’re more than just an illusionist.”

Before Riya could reply, Silay cleared her throat.

“Ahem. As much as I enjoy learning about magic, shouldn’t we be escaping?” She looked around at the group.

“Agreed.” Jarlen leaned back, stretching, and grimaced. “I am much too old to be having adventures. Edo, how long will your sleeping spell last?”

“Until daybreak.”

Riya raised her eyebrows. “Impressive.”

“Well, I’m not head magician in Sojan for nothing. Or, at least,” he amended, “I wasn’t head magician. I don’t think I’m likely to be welcomed back.”

“All right then.” Silay broke in. There wasn’t time for self-pity at the moment. “That means we have to get to safety, or at least under cover, before then. You mentioned help from Dagrosa?”

“Yes.” Edo nodded. “They’ll be meeting us in Griffin.”

“Griffin?” Jarlen sounded startled. “That’s the last place I would have expected you to go for help.”

“I know. But if the Council couldn’t be trusted about this, then maybe they lied about the mercenaries too.” He sighed. “I don’t know. I just know that if Sojan is the enemy, then Griffin is out best bet for safety.”

A thought occurred to Silay. “What about your mother? If there is trouble in Sojan, you can’t just leave her there!”

“You were right, Edo. She is sweet.” A gentle voice from off to the left caused the group to jump. “I’m a bit surprised you didn’t mention she was also pretty.”

A woman stepped out of the darkness. Her left hand was outstretched, palm up, with a faint blue light glowing above it. Her other hand held a lead, and attached to the lead was Riya’s donkey and cart.

She smiled at the group, who all except Edo looked surprised. “With three magicians, I think we should have no problem avoiding Sojan scouts.
___________________________

That's right, I'm bringing a mother into the story! I'll be back to my usual weekly postings from now on. In the meantime, I'd love to know what you thought of this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment