Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Chapter 10, Pt. 4

The house was small, and Edo followed them into the main room, which was also the kitchen. Riya and Jarlen set down their bags while Silay poked her head into the two back rooms. “They’re full of beds,” she exclaimed.

“The city uses the house to room any Healers or seers that come through. Sometimes they have several apprentices with them.” He glanced around the room. “It looks like the kitchen is stocked, and this house has an indoor pump.” He turned to Silay. “Were there linens on the beds?”

“Yes.”

“All right, then. If you’re all set, I’ll be heading home. I’m sure my mother is worried about me.”

“You live with your mother?” The question was out of Silay’s mouth before she could stop it. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to pry.”

“It’s all right. Yes, I live with her.” Edo gave a tired smile. “If you need anything, there is nearly always someone in the Apothecary, even late at night. They can probably help you.”

Jarlen nodded. “Thank you for your help. We won’t keep you from your family any longer.”

“Good night.” Edo readjusted the pack on his shoulder and left.

Riya's eyes followed the retreating figure. “He still lives with his mother,” she mused aloud.

Silay shrugged. “What of it? He probably helps take care of her.”

“Oh, I’m sure he does.” She smiled slyly at Silay. “Of course, it also suggests he isn’t married.”

“And?”

“I just though that might interested you.” Riya looked at Silay. “You are turning an interesting shade of red.”

“I am not!”

“You are.”

Before Silay could respond again, Jarlen interrupted. “Enough, ladies. Let’s unpack and see about something to eat.”

Silay bent down to pick up her pack, trying to hide her blush. “Riya and I will take the room on the right. You can take the other one.”

Riya followed Silay into their room, setting her pack on a bed across from the one Silay had chosen.

“I’m sorry if I embarrassed you.”

“Truly?”

“No.” Riya grinned, and Silay reluctantly smiled back. The two women began to unpack, which didn’t take long. Suddenly, Silay laughed.

Riya glanced up. “What is it?”

“I can’t remember the last time I went to bed knowing I wouldn’t have to carry a pack the next day.”

“It’s a nice feeling.” Riya stretched her arms over her head, gently arching her back. “Not one I get much in my profession.”

“No, I guess not.” Silay sat down on the edge of her bed, watching the older woman finish organizing the small amount of goods they had carried with them. “Riya?”

“Hmmm?”

“Are you going to be all right here?”

Riya stopped, then sat down facing Silay. “I’m not sure. I certainly don’t intend to advertise the fact that I am here. I wouldn’t have anyways, but seeing how your Edo reacted to me…”

Silay decided to ignore the ‘your’ part. “He was a bit rude.”

“No.” Riya shook her head. “He is entitled to his feelings. What happened here should not have happened.”

“What did happen? I mean,” she added hurriedly, “I know what happened to Sojan. Why did you take the Wardstone?”

Riya sighed. “I trusted the wrong person.”

Silay sat silently for a moment before speaking. “I know how that can feel.”

Riya smiled. “Yes, I suppose you do.” She stood up. “We should see what Jarlen is up to. If he is half as hungry as me, he must be starving.”


Silay stood up and followed her, but she wasn’t smiling. Instead she was trying to understand how she could feel bad for both Edo and Riya. And trying figure out if there was any way to make up for past wrongs.
_________________
My computer isn't broken. Hurray! 

Silay and Edo. What do you think? Could it happen? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments; I'd love to hear them (and they could affect the story)!

2 comments:

  1. Proofreading :)

    I just though that (thought)

    ----

    I was wondering about Silay and Edo a bit. He's certainly more plausible than any of the other guys she's met! And there's both some mutual intrigue and goodwill to build on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Missed one. Heh. Same line: "interested" should be "interest"

    ReplyDelete