Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Chapter 9, Pt.7

Silay threw herself down into the kitchen chair, and Jarlen handed her a mug of tea.

“That,” he commented, “wasn’t exactly what I thought you meant when you said you would ‘handle it’.”

“Sorry.” Silay sighed. “I just didn’t want to deal with him anymore.”

Jarlen sat down across from her. “Are you all right?”

Silay looked up and was surprised to see how worried he looked. “I’m fine. Just a little tired.”

Jarlen chuckled. “'Fine'?” Now you sound like Riya.”

She shrugged. “Maybe she’s rubbing off on me.”

“That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I meant my question. Are you all right?”

“I don’t know.” Silay stared at her tea in silence for a moment. “I’m not sure what I expected when I started out, but it wasn’t this.”

“Nobody expected this.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?”

“Perhaps. There was always the chance of danger when you set out, but I don’t think the Seer would have sent you, unprepared as you are, if anyone had thought you would be attacked.”

“She didn’t know there was a person behind the plague.”

“And now she does. Now we all do. Because of you.”

“But I didn’t do anything!” Silay exclaimed.

“Exactly!” Jarlen gave a small smile. “That was always the plan, remember? Things have changed. The future has changed. And the only thing different from the seers’ original visions was you.”

“Except now there’s a war coming.”

“Everything has consequences. You know that.”

There was a long silence.

“Jarlen?”

“Yes?”

“Do you really think my blood could help stop the plague?”

Jarlen paused before answering. “I don’t know for certain, but I do believe there’s a very real possibility it could.”

Silay nodded her head slowly, making her decision. “Then when we get back to Sojan, I’ll let you try.”

“Thank you.”

*     *     *


Talis returned around lunchtime, much to Silay’s and Jarlen’s surprise. Even more surprising was the amount of food he brought with him, scavenged from the abandoned houses. Lunch was eaten in silence, and the rest of that day was spent organizing for the arrival of help from Sojan.
________________
Silay is struggling with the unseen consequences of her actions, but at the same time I think she is beginning to accept them. She's still not confident in her abilities, but she is growing more comfortable with them. She is starting to realize that life is bigger than this unquest she is on, and that there is a lot more work to be done if the story is going to have a happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment