Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Chapter 9, Pt. 6

Talis had stopped shouting, but was still hitting the door in a half-hearted manner when Silay threw it open.

“Out!”

Talis froze mid-knock. “Out where?”

“I don’t care. Just get out.”

“I’m free to go?”

“Isn’t that what I just said?”

“But—” Talis paused. “If I leave, Wrigcyn will just grab me again.”

“I really don’t care.” There was a sharp edge to Silay’s voice.

“I came to you for help. You’re supposed to be the good guys.”

“And you threw in your lot with the bad guys. It’s called consequences.”

Much to Silay’s surprise, Talis walked back into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. She glared at him.

“That’s the opposite of what I told you to do.”

“Did Riya teach you to fight like that?”

“What?” The change of topic caught Silay off guard.

“When you caught me. Did Riya teach you that?”

“Yes.”

Talis nodded, as if this information meant something to him. “You fought well.”

“And what does that have to do with the price of cheese?”

He shrugged. “Just thought you’d like to know.”

There was a moment of silence before Silay spoke. “She’s sick. Riya, I mean. Because of you. Because you led that magician to us.”

“I know.” There was remorse in Talis’ voice, but Silay couldn’t tell if it was genuine or not. He looked up and met her eyes.

“Do you have any idea what it’s like? Trying to live up to some amazing Destiny with no idea how to do it?”

“No,” Silay said drily. “I don’t.”

“Oh, right. I forgot.” Talis sighed and dropped his gaze. “One of the Dagrosa council members told me about the plague. Since I have a Hero-like Destiny, he thought I might be able to help.” He shrugged. “But the Seer wouldn’t tell me anything about it. So I left to see what I could find on my own.”

“And you met Wrigcyn.”

“No. I met Kade.” He looked back up. “I truly never meant for anyone to get hurt. I just thought that this was my chance to be great, you know? I’d get close to Kade, figure out what was going on, and stop the plague.”

“But you changed your mind and decided to help them attack us instead?”

“No!” Talis stood up. “Wrigcyn got suspicious when he learned you and I were both from Dagrosa. He made me take a blood oath. And I was afraid of what he would do if I refused.”

Silay stared at him for a moment, digesting this. “You still did wrong,” she said finally. “The Seer told you not to get involved.”

“I’m not asking for forgiveness. Just for help.”

“Then ask someone else. Go or stay, I don’t care.” Silay turned to leave, but stopped to look back at Talis. “But if you do stay, you’ll have to find your own food. We’re running low on supplies.”


She left the room and headed towards the kitchen. A few moments later, Silay heard Talis walk out of the house, unsure whether she wanted him to leave or come back. She didn’t trust him, or even like him, but she could relate with his uncertainty about the future. And, selfishly, she didn’t want to feel the guilt she knew she would if something bad happened to him.
_________________
"What does that have to do with the price of cheese?" is a favourite saying of one of my co-workers, and it cracks me up, so I knew I had to find a way to work it into my story.

The polls are closed, and the votes are in, it seems it is forgivable for me to change Wilbrock's name. So, I'm happy to introduce Wrigcyn, now playing the part formerly called Wilbrock. Hope it doesn't cause you too much confusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment