Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Chapter 9, Pt. 2

Jarlen took the stone from Silay, they looked at Talis. "Whom did you contact?"

"I didn't call anyone."

"No?" Jarlen raised his eyebrows. "Do you expect me to believe that?"

"He's telling the truth." Jarlen and Riya looked at Silay, surprised by her claim. Ignoring them, she continue. "You are, aren't you? You didn't call anyone. I think you meant it, about wanting help, I mean. But someone called you."

Talis dropped his chin to his chest. "Wrigcyn. Things...are changing. That's all he said. That, and to come meet him."

"Did he say where?" Jarlen's voice was gruff.

"No." Talis shook his head. "I was just to get away from you, then contact him to find out where I should go. I told him you had caught me and were holding me captive."

"Well, that's certainly the case now," Riya pointed out. "Good job making your lie come true."

"But I didn't want to!" He looked at Silay desperately. "I didn't want any of this to happen! But he has my blood! I had to do what he said!"

Despite her defense of Talis just a moment ago, his plea struck a wrong chord with Silay. Something about blood magic. Not what he was saying now, but something he had said earlier. Suddenly, it clicked.

"Talis, when you found us two nights ago, when you first asked for help... what was it you said?"

"What I just said. That Wrigcyn has my blood."

"Not that." Silay chose her next words carefully, reasoning through what she was about to say. "You said Wrigcyn also has my blood?”

“Look, I said I was sorry—”

“But it doesn’t matter, does it? That Wrigcyn has my blood. He didn’t track us with it, because magic doesn’t work on me.”

Talis frowned. “Fine, yes. I left that part out to scare you. Wrigcyn has your  blood, but he isn’t able to do anything with it.  He tried. I didn’t think you would help me otherwise.”

“How did he track us then?”

Talis didn’t answer.

“Answer the question,” Jarlen commanded.

“Or what?” Talis met the man’s eyes. “You’ll hurt me? I doubt it. Promise to help me, and I’ll help you. Until then, I’m done talking.”

Jarlen and Silay exchanged glances. Neither of them trusted Talis, but he was also right that none of them were willing to hurt him to get information.

“I—” Riya’s voice trailed off, and Silay and Jarlen turned to look at her.

“Riya! Are you all right?” Silay had never seen her so pale.

The magician shook her head. “I…I don’t feel so good.” She started to tip forward, and Jarlen stepped over and caught her arm.

“Careful there.” He caught Silay’s eye. “Help me?”

Silay darted forward and placed Riya’s arm over her shoulder.

“I’m sorry. I just feel weak all of a sudden.”

Jarlen took charge. “Silay, take Riya into the closest house and see if you can find a place for her to sit or lie down. I’ll go get our packs.”

Silay nodded and turned toward the house, surprised by how much of Riya’s weight she was having to support.

“What about me?”


Jarlen glared at Talis. “You’re fine just where you are. We’ll decide what to do with you later.” He lingered long enough to make sure Silay was able to support Riya, then headed for the gate where they had left their packs.
________________
Thank you all for your patience while I dealt with family things. Life is getting back to normal now, and so are my posts. 

1 comment:

  1. Proofreading :)

    Silay, they looked (then?)
    she continue. (continued)
    Wrigcyn has your blood, (double space?)

    ReplyDelete