Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chapter 8, Pt. 6


Talis refused to talk until he ate, and looking at his rough state, Jarlen and Riya had accepted his terms, though Silay personally felt they ought to hit him over the head and leave him tied to a tree. But calmer minds won out, and they were now all sitting around the fire, eating a small meal.

Finally, Jarlen set his bowl aside, and leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees as he faced Talis. "So, some questions first. How did you find us?"

"I've been following you since you escaped.  Wrigcyn figured you'd get out eventually, and left me to watch."

"Wrigcyn?"

Talis nodded. "The magician." He noticed the change in mood as he said this. "Look, that's really all I know about him. He hired Kade, and Kade hired me."

"Hired you to do what?"

"That's not important."

"Oh?" Jarlen raised his eyebrows. "It is to us."

"Hey, I could have killed Silay back there, and I didn't. I came to you for help!"

"Help you wouldn't have gotten if you had killed Silay," Riya observed. "So that's rather a moot point."

"Not to me!" Silay felt it was time to interject, but fell silent at a glance from Jarlen. Clearly, her input wasn't required at the moment.

Talis stared at the ground for a moment before speaking again. "Look, I never wanted to hurt anybody."

Silay opened her mouth to speak again, but closed it when Riya nudged her. Talis saw the movement, though, and turned to address her.

"Truly, Silay, I didn't! Yes, I wanted the information you had, but that's just because I wanted to stop the plague first. But Wrigcyn...." His voice trailed off.

"Wrigcyn what?" Jarlen prompted.

"He doesn't care. If people get hurt, I mean. He told me he wanted to stop the plague, but..."

"But you think that might not be case?"

Talis nodded. "That's why I came to you. I could have just kept following you and reported back to him, but I can't. Not anymore. I want out."

Riya's eyes had narrowed during this speech. "And why can't you get out on your own?"

"Wrigcyn. When I agreed to work with him, he took some of my blood."

Silence followed this statement. Riya broke it. "Even if we could help you, I don't see why we should. You must have known the risk of making a deal in blood."

"And," Jarlen pointed out, "There is also the issue that as long as he's bound in his bargain he'll be reporting back to Wrigcyn."

"Can't we just follow him to the magician, then?" asked Silay.

Riya turned to her. "That could work, actually. Jarlen, what do you---"

But Talis was shaking his head violently. "You don't understand! It's not just me. He has Silay's blood too!"
_______________________
Duh, duh, daaaaaah! Also, "moot" is a funny word. I've always thought so.
Finally, it has recently come to my attention that "talis", a Latin adjective for "such as" or "Of such a kind", is also a Hebrew word for a prayer shawl. Which is interesting, but unrelated to the story. I typically use Latin and Greek as my basis for my names, in case you were wondering. 

1 comment:

  1. Proofreading :)

    he wanted to stop they plague (the)
    Asked Silay (capitalization)

    ReplyDelete