Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Chapter 6, Pt. 5


Silay continued to think about Healers, magic and the plague until they stopped to rest the horses and eat.

Riya reached behind Silay's ear and held up her hand, now containing a small coin. "Copper for your thoughts."

Silay smiled and took the coin, vanishing it like she had when she had first met Riya at the inn. "Just thinking about the plague."

"What about it?"

"Well... I was wondering... if it could be magical somehow."

Jarlen looked up at this. "You mean because it can kill the Healers?"

Silay nodded. "I don't know much about magic, but from what you said earlier, it sounds like it just naturally burns up any disease. So if it doesn't..."

"Then something is stopping it. Like another magic." Riya looked at Jarlen. "Is that possible? I haven't exactly studied magic either. It's just something I do."

Jarlen rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I've never heard of such a thing, but I suppose, technically, it would be possible. There is one way we could find out for certain."

"What's that?"

Jarlen looked at Silay. "If, when we get to Dilest, you don't become sick."

Riya raised her eyebrows. "Any other way to find out? Without exposing ourselves to disease?"

Jarlen shrugged. "I'll think about it."

"There's one thing that bothers me about your idea, Silay."

Silay looked at Riya. "Just one?"

"All right, several things. But one more than any other." She paused. "If the plague is magic in nature, then that suggests someone created it." Riya looked at the two startled faces staring at her. "That's what worries me," she said grimly.

End of Chapter 6: Concerning Magic
Check back Wednesday for the Chapter Epilogue

____________
 I've struggled with the plague plot ever since I developed it. How do you make an antagonist out of a disease? And then... Silay started to wonder about the causes of the plague. It's always a little surprising when my characters have better ideas than me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment