Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Chapter 3, Pt. 4

Silay returned to Riya's tent more troubled than when she'd left it. Riya noticed. "Everything all right?"

"I don't know." Silay shrugged."I just feel...lost. Not sure what I'm supposed to do."

Riya looked at her with concern, and gestured for Silay to sit beside her. "I'm thinking this has to do with something more than deciding whether or not you stay for the festival?"

"Yeah."

"You know, I get the impression you know something you aren't telling me."

Silay started to stand, but Riya touched her arm, stilling her. "It's fine. Your business is your business, and none o' mine. We've traveled together for a bit, that's all." She looked at Silay. "Just don't forget you're young, yes? It's all right to spend a few days not worrying. Whatever your business is, it can wait."

Silay gave her a small smile. "Well, I've never seen a festival this big before."

"There you go!" Riya punched her lightly in the arm. "Now, get some sleep. You can figure out your life after the festival."

As Silay lay on her bedroll, Riya's words echoed through her head. Figure out her life? She wished she could. That was the point of the Seer, after all. To help people figure out their lives.And yet, here she was, a Dagrosian, with no more idea about her life than a new born babe. Indeed, she knew more about everyone else's lives than her own. Knew that most of them were going to die if the future didn't change. And all she could do about it was bumble along, and hope that her bumbling took her in the right direction.

Silay drifted into sleep, the image of a dandelion dancing through her dreams. So many little seeds, just barely held together. One breath of air and they would float away at the mercy of the wind, lost forever. So many seeds. And so few would land in the right place, a place where they could grow and start the cycle again. The rest would wither and die.
 *   *   *
Talis awoke with jerk. Someone was standing over him. In a single movement, he rolled over and drew his sword from its sheath beside him. He stood up, holding the naked blade.

"Easy there, boy. No one's trying to hurt you."

He didn't lower the sword. "Who are you? What do you want?"

The man held up his arms and smiled. "My name is Kade. I'm here to help you."

"How so?"

"Word is you're looking for hero work. Have you heard about the plague?"

"What plague?" Talis lowered his blade.

"Just heard about it myself. A Dagrosian told me. She's trying to stop it."

"A Dagrosian?" Now it was clear he was interested. "Does she have a name?"

Kade shook his head. "I only trade in information."

"And I'm guessing you don't give information for free?" Kade smiled, and Talis continued. "And how much would a name cost me?"

Kade's smile grew larger. "How much do you have?"
_______
Silay is back! I know it's been a while, but I really felt I owed it to Silay (and you all) to see the story through to the end. So check back weekly for updates :) I've spent the last couple of weeks working on the story, so hopefully there won't be any long gaps without posting.
*
I'm not sure how I feel about the change in narrative perspective at the end of this week's post, but I do like the effect. Yay foreshadowing! Also, new character!

2 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! I think this should be extra credit for your students too. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proofreading :)

    lives.And yet, (+ space)

    ReplyDelete