Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny.

Undestined is on Wattpad!

By the way, posts are shown starting with the most recent. If you want to start at the beginning, you need to use the archives and start with the oldest post. Savvy?

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chapter 2, pt. 2


The girl took a step forward. “Give me your food!” she demanded.

Silay looked at her for a moment, then reached forward and carefully twisted the butter knife out of her hand.

“Hey! That’s not fair. Give it back!”

“Not yet.” Silay knelt so she was eye-level with the girl. “What’s your name?”

“Not supposed to talk to strangers.”

“But attacking them with butter knives is all right?”

The girl didn’t answer and Silay sighed. “What are you doing out here?”

“Running away.” The girl narrowed her eyes. “What are you doing out here?”

Silay considered the question. “I guess I’m running away too.”

“Really?” The girl grinned and stuck out her hand. “I’m Hazel. Can I run away with you?”

“First, tell me where you’re running away from.”

Hazel shook her head. “Uh-uh. Then you’ll just take me back home.”

Silay pretended to think about it. “All right then. But no making trouble. Promise?”

The girl’s smile got wider. “Promise!”

They set off down the road, Hazel chatting happily. It wasn’t too difficult to work out that she was from Welis. Besides, the next closest town, was five miles away, and there was no way Hazel had walked that far.

Silay kept Hazel engaged in conversation, so the young girl didn’t notice when they turned off the main road and started down the path to Welis until they were almost to the town gates. Then Hazel looked up.

The girl halted in the middle of the road. “Hey! Where are we going?”

Silay glanced back at her. “You wanted to come with me. I’m heading to Welis.”

“Well, I’m not.”

Just then a young woman came hurrying out of the gate, and started to run towards the two.

Hazel turned to run back to the main road, but Silay caught her shoulder and turned her around, gently propelling her towards the woman.

When the woman reached them she stooped and hugged the girl. “Hazel! Where have you been? We’ve been worried sick about you.”

“Get off!” Hazel wiggled out of the woman’s embrace, but didn’t run off again. The woman held Hazel’s hand firmly and offered her free hand to Silay. “I’m Adelie, Hazel’s aunt.”

“Silay.” She shook Adelie’s hand, then offered her the butter knife. “I’m not sure who this belongs to. Hazel had it.”

Adelie took the knife, and frowned at her niece. “Your parents are going to be having a nice long talk with you today.” She sighed and turned back to Silay. “Thank you for finding her.”

Silay shrugged. “She more or less found me.”

“Are you staying in Welis? It’s a small town, but we have a decent inn.”

The small party was now walking towards the town.

“I’m planning to stay the night,” Silay told Adelie, “but I’d like to speak to a Healer first, if there is one.”

Adelie looked at her. “Why, are you sick?”

“No. I just—” Silay didn’t want to lie, but didn’t want to tell the truth about her journey either. “I just have a blister.”

Adelie laughed. “You don’t need a Healer for that. Besides, the closest one is a mile away. You should go see Jarlen. He’s an alchemist.”

“An alchemist?”

Adelie nodded. “He does things with potions and such, only without magic. No one would go see him if they were really sick, but he’s good with things like blisters.”

Come on!” They had entered the town now, and Hazel was tugging on Adelie’s hand.

“I need to get Hazel home now.” Adelie pointed at a nearby street. “Jarlen’s house is the third on the left.”

“Thank you.”

“Thank you." Hazel was now pulling Adelie down the road and she had to call over her shoulder. “Have Jarlen tell you where Hazel lives. I’m sure her parents will want to thank you.”

Silay waved to show she had heard, then turned to go to Jarlen’s house. If the nearest Healer was a mile away, it wouldn’t hurt to have the alchemist look at her blister.
_________
Notes:

So, I was planning to have a sentence that said something like "Silay had planned to push on further to ___ [The town five miles away where Hazel couldn't be from], but the adventure, if that was the right word, with Hazel had taken up so much time that she decided to spend the night in Welis".

I did not use this sentence, however, because I have apparently completely run out of names and couldn't think what to call the town five miles away. How out of names am I? Well, Hazel is named after my rabbit and Welis is a scramble of "Lewis", since I happen to be reading a book by C.S. Lewis at the moment. 

Names: The bane of all authors since the invention of writing. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah... I, too, am slowed down by the arduous process of coming up with names. Honestly, I've come to avoid it by stopping mid-sentence to call my sister saying, "Hey, I need a name for a female/male who is [age] from [setting]." She's pretty good at supplying me with a few. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proofreading :)

    What are doing out (+ you)
    Silay pretending (pretended)
    besides Dagrosa was (Dagrosa,)
    a mile a way (away)
    “Thank you”. (.")

    I don't think we ever hear from Hazel's parents. Not a big deal, just wasn't sure if it was something you wanted to pick up or not. :)

    ReplyDelete